November 20, 2009

The Chore List Adventure

A few weeks ago, I started getting self conscious about the fact that out house was never quite clean. I wondered how people managed to work full time and keep a clean house. Surely they don't have lives, don't enjoy themselves and have no friends, right?

Then, I discovered a little tool (thanks to the all-powerful Google) called a weekly chore chart. Apparently a clean house does not require a full scrubbing daily, but simply a little work each day. With this new tool, I put together an N & E customized chore list. I have four chores per day, including washing the dishes and kitchen counters, and sorting our mail daily. It really breaks down to doing two extra chores each day.

On Mondays, I have to dust the furniture and do any laundry left over from the weekend, Tuesdays I pick up clutter and vacuum, Wednesdays I clean the bathroom, and so on. For the most part, this adds less than an hour of work each day. Our house looks great, our surfaces are clean, the clutter is gone, and the bathroom tiles are staying white.

I have been slacking with my chores this week and I can already tell the difference. Thankfully I was smart enough to schedule a "rest day" for Sundays, which has really just become my "catch up day" for this week. My greatest measure of success? E came home this week and said:

"Lately, I have loved coming home. It is so relaxing here."

Removing the clutter and the dust does make the dwelling more peaceful.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And so sweet of E! :-)

    ::running to google::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this too!! C says her wants to help, but never really does!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you e-mail me a copy of this? my husband and i are having real issues with who does what and when... it's been difficult with my school and work, and his work (and then being injured and on crutches). I would love to be organized and clean again!!! (beautifulforyou2007@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete