March 17, 2010

Delays... and Cancellations

The past few weeks have been crazy! E was out in the West Coast for business, and I flew to Puerto Rico for my niece's baptism. We were apart for a long two weeks. The longest we had been apart in four years.

After four days in PR, I was ready to come back and see E. Unfortunately, my connection flight home was canceled. The very-rude Continental check-in agent didn't originally tell me the flight had been canceled. I had to run back after I realized I was missing a Boarding Pass. She, reluctantly, put me on stand-by for the next flight (it was sold-out) and muttered that it was not the airline's responsibility since the cancellation had been due to weather conditions. I was appalled that she had been so mean, and that she had not even bothered to tell me my flight was canceled.

I arrived in my connecting city to see the flight had been delayed. I ran to the customer service desk where a nice agent, for a change, told me that all flights that day were sold out and that my chances of getting home were slim. And I broke down in tears. I was in a strange city, all alone and could not get home. I wanted to be home and see E, and I needed to get to work for a very important meeting the next day.

Thankfully, the cancellations and delays had cause some people to miss this flight and, five minutes before the plane was scheduled to depart, I was able to board and head home. I arrived over four hours later than expected. Drained. And sleepy. But I was home.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had a stressful time! I am sure it was hard to be away from E for so long!

    ReplyDelete