January 11, 2010

New kitchen trick!

I made my mom's amazing pollo guisado (chicken stew) last night to great raves from the hubster. I won't even attempt to post the recipe because it consists of a lot of this:

"A little bit of sauce. A bit of water. Taste it, add some more sauce. Maybe some salt. And taste again and adjust."

I couldn't reproduce it on paper if I tried.

However, I learned a really neat new trick for removing fat from liquids (stews, sauces, soups). There was no time for refrigeration and I do not own a gravy separator, and I had a bit of fat at the top of my stew from the chicken thighs. A quick search on google brought this invaluable nugget:

To remove fat from liquids, wait until the fat rises to the top, then take a paper towel, hold it at both ends, and lay on the fat.

Amazingly, the paper towel grabs/sucks up only the fat and leaves the nice flavorful broth behind. It took a few passes, about four paper towels, but 99% of the fat was gone. Hands down, a meal saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment